If you have ever wondered if making a quilt is right for you, keep in mind the following: Until you actually do some research, and perhaps, even give it a try, you’re not going to know for sure. This is a hobby that can appeal to individuals from all walks of life. If you’ve always been on the fence about trying it for yourself, now might be the time to change your mind.
When it comes to the basics of quilt making, there are several things that you are going to want to keep in mind.
One of the great things about quilt making is the fact that it is pure creativity. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of quilts that you can make. As easily as you can find quilt projects for beginners, you can find quilt projects for more advanced skill levels. Furthermore, you should keep in mind that when it comes to creating quilts, there are very few actual rules that you have to deal with. What you have with quilt making are guidelines. There are very few rules that have to be followed without the slightest deviation. This is one of the main reasons as to why making quilts is such a popular, easy hobby to get into.
In terms of getting started, there are several things about making quilts that you are going to want to keep in mind.
A Few Things You Need To Know About Quilt Making
Don’t feel overwhelmed by the world of quilt making. Here are a few basics to help you get started:
- Find a way to make quilts that appeal to you: Some people still like to use templates, and then cut out everything they need with regular sewing scissors. However, experienced quilters will tell you that rotary cutting provides faster, more efficient cutting. Machine quilting is also a possibility that you may want to explore.
- Learn the definitions: There are quite a few quilting definitions out there. The challenge on your end is to learn and apply these definitions. Backing refers to the bottom part of the quilt. Piecing involves sewing together your pieces of fabrics that will make your top layer. With seam allowances and quilting, you’re talking about 1/4 inch. These are just a few of the definitions that you’re going to come across.
- Make sure you have a cutting mat: A good cutting mat is definitely the right way to go. With one of these mats, you’ll be able to get your perfect edges every single time.
- Get the right ruler: Not every ruler is alike, when it comes to making quilts. You’re ideally going to want something that is extra-long and wide. A 5×24 ruler made from transparent plastic is a good way to go.
- Get the rest of your essentials: Straight pins, safety pins, and seam rippers are just a few of the essentials you’re going to need.
- Make sure you have the right threads: Cheap threads can break easily, and create lint when washed. There are tons of materials and colors out there. What you want to ultimately do is choose a high-quality cotton thread for a quilting project.
A Few More Things about Quilting to Keep In Mind
Choosing your fabric may strike you as the most difficult element of making a quilt. There are thousands of possibilities to choose from. You can find quilts that are made of 100% cotton fabric. You can also find quilts that are made from polyester, or polyester/cotton blends. Ultimately, a good, basic quilt is going to involve choosing a number of different fabrics for your front, your border, in addition to your 1-2 fabrics for your quilt backing.
Ask yourself how many colors you would like to incorporate. How many differing patterns would you like to utilize? A combination of large/small patterns is generally a good idea, in addition to colors that work within the same family. You should also keep in mind that you can get really creative with your fabrics. For example, vintage tablecloths have been a popular quilt option for years.
Learn more about things like patchwork quilt block structure, accurate pressing, and whether or not something like sashing is right for you. And don’t forget to have fun!